Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pizza and snow boots

Otto won't let me turn the heat on yet, so I've been using the oven more as a means to stay warm. A couple days ago I decided it was time for homemade pizza. Fun for the kids to make, and you heat the pizza stone in the oven for an hour at 500 degrees F - bonus! For some reason, I never made pizza in Lake Jackson. And in Victoria I only made it when it was cool outside, because the oven would heat the house up so much the a/c couldn't keep up.

Making the dough.

Spreading the cornmeal on the pizza peel. Cornmeal granules act as ball bearings so that the pizza slides (relatively) easily off the peel, onto the stone in the oven.

Patting the dough onto the peel, after I pulled and tugged on it draped over my hands for a while. I haven't attempted throwing it into the air yet.

Sauce.

Cheese.

Is it ready yet?

Oh yeah - that's what I'm talkin' about!

Sooooooo goooooood.....
Actually, the crust was thicker than I or Otto remembered. Maybe I used a rolling pin last time; I prefer a thinner crust. I guess we'll just have to make some more!


And here Andy and Sam are modeling their new snow boots that they are ever-so-ready to wear in actual snow.


P.S. A random culinary question: I picked up some broccoli rabe (aka broccoli rapini) at the store. Looks like a cross between dark flat leaf parsley and broccoli. But, my word, was this stuff bitter! I doctored it up with all sorts of stuff (chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, olive oil, Tony Chachere's, a dash of nutmeg, and finally a can of cream of mushroom soup!), but still didn't feel right making the boys finish it before they could have dessert. Otto and I figured out if we mixed it with the rice it made it more palatable. I did finish the rest of it - over two days. It tasted so awful (although it kind of grew on me) I figured it must be REALLY good for me. Any suggestions??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh..snow boots in September. What a sight - it reminds me of my days in ....um, nope, I've got nothing. Still wearing shorts, flip flops, and t-shirts in Texas. Thinking about you guys everyday! The pizza looks quite yummy - as for your strange leafy veggie I've got nothing again. Seems like I'm not much of a help here. Hope 1st grade is going well!
Jennifer
P.S. We are expecting a special package in the beginning of March!

Kacee said...

It is kind of bitter, but I have had recipes where they say to boil it and then saute it. I can look and forward one to you if you want to try again-maybe it is in Everyday Italian.... I am not a real fan- I like broccoli and broccolini much better.
Yeah-had to check the fit of the kids' snow boots the other day. Not ready for the weather that is already starting to cool. :P