Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of Grade 1, and grapes

Today was the first day of school here in Red Deer. Andy was excited up until last night, when he told me he didn't want to go. I thought it might be a battle this morning, but he was fine. Not necessarily excited, but willing. Andy was so loaded down with school supplies that Sam helped out with the lunch box.


It was 1 degree C this morning - there was frost on the roof tops. That is just too cold for the second day of September!! But it's pretty warm this afternoon. Crazy weather!

Andy's school is a French immersion school. There are also Francophone schools where the kids that attend come from French-speaking households. French immersion schools are for the kids whose parents don't necessarily have a clue about French. (Does 'laissez le bon temps roulet' count?) However, I am going to take a conversational class on Tuesday evenings so that I can maybe help him a little.

I asked if the teachers (he has two) spoke in French first and then explained in English, and he said that they spoke a little English, but mostly French and used hand motions so you knew what you were supposed to do. That would be something to see during a history lesson!

He seemed to have a good day, and ready to go back tomorrow. Of course, that could all change in the morning. Last year his first week of kindergarten went great, then the two weeks after that it was quite painful to get him out the door. Seems reality had set in that he actually had to go EVERY DAY, but eventually things lined out.


Also, I bought some Coronation grapes at the store today; I had never seen such a thing in my years of grocery shopping. They were the same price as the white and red seedless grapes, and they were grown in Ontario, so I thought I'd give them a try. I popped one in my mouth, and it was like the skies opened up and let the light of truth onto years of confusion and perplexity, much of which had been shoved into my subconscious at this point of my life. Finally, I know where the artificial grape flavor comes from! It was quite a moment. I think I heard choirs in the background. So if you see some in your store, give them a try!

No comments: