Sunday, March 1, 2009

That's odd.

During our dinner conversation this evening, we were talking about Penelope Cruz because Otto and I just saw "Vicki Cristina Barcelona" last night. Otto said that Penelope must not be her real name because it isn't a Spanish name. I countered that Marta isn't in the German/Swedish background of my mother's heritage, but that's her name nonetheless. Maybe Penelope's mom just liked the name Penelope. (I don't know - maybe it is a stage name!)

After a couple minutes Andy said, "Both of my grandmothers are named Marta. That's odd."

Otto and I just laughed and agreed. I know I've pointed it out before, but I guess this was the first time he came to the realization on his own, and it sunk in.

**ADDENDUM** See the comments for more background on my mom's name and heritage. And I spoke to Otto's mom the other day, and she says she doesn't know what he's talking about. Penelope is a completely Spanish name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm bout a quarter each of English, Scot Irish, German and Swedish. Remember the figure I made for you of your heritage?
Nana heard the name "Marta" watching a movie with Marta Toren
who, you see, is Swedish
http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen.com/show/269/Marta+Toren/index.html

Love, Mom

Jessica said...

Um, no I don't remember the figure you made for me. But thank you for recap because I completely forgot about the Scot Irish and English.